A 1713 framed map of Plymouth Sound - bird’s eye copper engraving, hand-coloured, with light foxing spots in margins and sky area.
This has a large title ‘Plymouth’ in ‘ribbon’ effect cartouche in sky area, and a long title either side of coat of arms at bottom: ‘A prospect of Plymouth and ye sound as it is seen between ye Ramhead & Mewstone a League from the Citadel, with a view of Hamoze & Catwater, Sutton Pool and all ye remarkable points &c. Humbly dedicated to Her most Serene and Sacred Majesty Anne by ye Grace of God Queen of Great Britain, France & Ireland.’ It shows Plymouth looking toward the land, with St. Nicholas Island in the centre of the view. 24 places are indicated by letters on the view, and named in the key below the title. There are four ships in the foreground, numerous ships in the middle distance, waves shown in detail in foreground.
Places named include Plymouth Tower, Citadel, New Church, Fishers Nose, Withy Hedge, Shags Stone, Penlee Point, Ram Church, Maker Church, M. Edgecombe, Cat Down and Dock Chapell.
Sold by Tho. Taylor at the Golden Lyon near the Horn Tavern in Fleet Street, London (circa 1713).
66 cm high x 76 cm wide - including frame
50 cm high x 59 cm wide - insert only